Indian style potatoes (Aalu Timater)
I am not much of a cook. The last time I cooked something was a few months ago last year and it was Hamburger Helper! My mother, Shehla, on the other hand is an amazing cook and is always improvising and coming up with her own recipes. Today Indira made a preparation of potatoes, which she learned from my mom. Can’t wait for dinner!
5 Medium yellow potatoes
1 medium tomato
1 14 oz can of diced tomato (for gravy rich preparation)
3 green chilies (for flavor) – optional
1/4 tsp cumin seed
¼ tsp brown mustard seed
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp of canola oil
- Peel the potato and cut in small pieces. Slit the chilies half way (length wise).
- Boil the potatoes till they get semi tender (approx 10 minutes).
- In a separate skillet pour oil and heat it.
- Add seasonings, chili, chopped tomatoes, salt and sauté for five minutes.
- Add potato and stir for two minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, stir, cover the skillet and let simmer on low flame for seven minutes.
- Serves six to eight people
- Serve with bread or rice.