I finally got the quilt done just in time: I gave it to P&N just a week before Ida was born. She’s home now, such a gorgeous baby girl, and I was excited to be able to visit her yesterday. Her dad managed to make time to take these photos so I could show you all how the quilt turned out.
Thanks to everyone who voted on the initial quilt layout and color poll. In the end it was an amazing and nail biting three way split so I gave the expectant mother the deciding vote and went with a brown background.
I am really happy with how the quilt came out — I actually think I like the side with the horizontal patchwork strip, which was meant to be the ‘back’ better than I like the ‘front’ which is the layout with the squares I had originally blogged about. It seems really nice and simple and the composition feels balanced.
The hardest part was getting the pieces together into something resembling an even rectangle… its hard to cut large pieces of fabric to size when you are working on your kitchen counter.
I referred to Denyse Schmidt’s quilting book at lot but her directions seem unnecessarily specific in places (eg if you just want a strip of uneven pieces laid together to make a long row you don’t really need a pattern). Thanks to JPR who walked me through some of it and shared some advice, and gave me the confidence not to follow all the patterns.
I definitely will make another quilt: just have to decide what and what colors. There are certainly enough fabric scraps to do several more!